**Join us on July 15th at noon for a special, live announcement on Periscope via @BlogPodium.**
With new social apps popping up every other day it’s hard to know which ones you should sign up for and use for you blog. We can assure you that Periscope is one that you don’t want to leave behind and here’s why.
This app works tightly with Twitter and allows you to broadcast in real time, that’s right, it’s completely LIVE with the option of replaying broadcasts for 24hrs. Why is this beneficial? Well, it’s like a behind-the-scenes look, an inside scoop of whatever it is that you are sharing and, well, we all love going behind-the-scenes! In the words of the app’s creators: “we realized there is no better way to experience a place right now than through live video.”
We have to say that we completely agree with that!
Once the app is downloaded, here’s how to use it:
- Sign in. You have the option of signing in with your Twitter account or phone number.
- Once you’ve logged in, it’s time to find your way around. You will notice icons at the bottom of your screen. The TV icon will show you a list of live and recent broadcasts of the people you follow.
- The world icon is a list of broadcasts from all around the world, with a couple “featured” broadcasts which will be at the top of the list. Tap it once for a map view.
- The broadcast icon is how you get started on recording your very own broadcasts (yay!)
- The last icon will show you a list of suggested people to follow and you can also search for users by tapping the icon at the top left. Access your personal profile through this page by clicking the icon at the top right.
Now it’s time to create your very first broadcast:
- You will notice several icons when you click the broadcast icon. Simply tap the icons to activate/deactivate them.
- The first icon will allow viewers to see your location
- The second will make your broadcast private, you select who can view it
- The third icon allows you to control who can comment
- And lastly the bird icon, you got it, will send out a tweet to let people know that you’re broadcasting LIVE
- Your followers will be notified whenever you start a new broadcast
The camera will automatically start off by facing forward, double tap the screen to turn the camera around. To stop a broadcast, simply swipe down on the screen and tap “stop broadcast.”
There are hearts, yup, everyone loves a little love! The more hearts you get (your total can be found below your profile picture), the higher you rank in Periscope’s “most ranked” list. To give someone a heart (or two or three!) double tap on the screen while watching their broadcast (live or replay).
As a viewer, you can chat live by entering text into the “say something” box at the bottom of the live video page. You can also turn the chat off (as a viewer) by swiping to the left while viewing a video and tapping “hide chat.” This is an amazing part of this app!
There are so many wonderful attributes to this app, we’ve just skimmed the surface, so we encourage you to not only sign up but to take the time to explore! What to broadcast? The possibilities are endless! Give us a tour of your workspace or recently renovated/decorated space! How about sharing a tutorial, be it a beverage, craft or meal!
We truly can’t say enough great things about Periscope and are looking forward to utilizing the app from here on! We will be making some super exciting announcements using Periscope, so be sure to tune in!
You can find Jen’s frist broadcast here: https://t.co/o2BYe74tNC